Head of Oligonucleotide Chemistry
Atalanta seeks an experienced senior oligonucleotide chemist to lead its drug discovery chemistry team. This position represents a unique opportunity for a talented chemist to join a dynamic management team and have a significant impact on advancing our science and the success of the company.
This individual will have significant organizational leadership responsibility, including primary responsibility for building, setting vision and strategy, and leading a team focused on developing novel oligonucleotide technologies and delivering siRNA therapeutics.
The candidate will have a strong background in organic chemistry with a primary focus on nucleosides, nucleotides and nucleic acids.
The candidate will have demonstrated active engagement in oligonucleotide research as through publications, public presentations, patents and a proven track record of innovative chemistry in the context of oligonucleotide therapeutics in a drug discovery environment.
The applicant will have experience in identifying drug candidates and advancing them into safety studies, drug manufacture and clinical studies. Knowledge of process development and manufacture of oligonucleotide therapeutics is highly desired.
The candidate will have demonstrated the ability and desire to work collaboratively on inter-disciplinary projects that span the chemical, analytical, and biological sciences.
Innovative chemistry and synthesis of oligonucleotide drug candidates
- Lead Atalanta chemistry functions within the company and represent the company to external partners and collaborators
- Lead efforts to identify emerging trends in oligonucleotide therapeutics and maintain awareness of competitive landscape
- Supervise organic chemistry group responsible for synthetic schemes for novel chemical nucleoside structures for the enhanced distribution and function of oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Supervise oligonucleotide synthesis group. Establish qualitative and quantitative methods and procedures to guarantee oligonucleotide supply and quality
- Participate in and contribute to cross disciplinary team function for the execution of drug discovery and drug development programs
- Work cross-functionally with other groups to apply chemistry principles in functional studies to improve the properties of siRNA drug candidates across all parameters of efficacy, safety, pharmacokinetic, and druglike properties. An understanding of the basic pharmacology principles of nucleic acid therapies as they relate to efficacy, pharmacokinetics, and toxicity is highly desired.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills including engagement with the oligonucleotide research community
- Create intellectual property and contribute to oligonucleotide patent applications
Oligonucleotide laboratory operations
- Coordinate laboratory synthetic capabilities and analytic instrumentation while continuously improving oligo production throughput and quality
- Critical evaluation and analysis of data to improve Atalanta’s chemistry platform
- Supply oligonucleotides for research and drug optimization programs according to priorities and timelines at synthesis scales to support high throughput screening and pre-clinical in vivo studies
- Establish, curate and maintain inventory and data systems for oligonucleotide compounds
- PhD in Chemistry is required; 15+ years post-doctoral, academic and/or industrial working experience in the field of oligonucleotide technologies
- Extensive experience with chemical synthesis, purification, and analytics of oligonucleotides, as well as demonstrated ability to work as part of an integrated team on multiple parallel projects.
- In depth experience in the field of RNA therapeutics with hands on knowledge of chemical structure search tools, synthesis techniques, purification instrumentation, and analysis methods related to chemically modified nucleosides and oligonucleotides.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying oligonucleotide drug candidates and advancing them into safety studies, drug manufacture and clinical studies.
- Excellent organizational, communication and leadership skills are essential
- Experience building and leading high-functioning teams in a cross-disciplinary environment
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com referencing job code HC-AJ
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.Back to Jobs