Scientist I/II, In Vivo Pharmacology and Neuroscience
Atalanta Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing novel oligonucleotide therapeutics for the treatment of genetically defined neurodegenerative diseases. Our founders’ groundbreaking discoveries in RNA interference offer a powerful therapeutic approach to halt diseases at their source. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s up-and-coming Seaport district.
Atalanta is seeking a highly skilled and motivated scientist with a strong background in the neuroscience field, who thrives in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and cross-disciplinary start-up biotech environment. The individual should have extensive experience in pharmacology study design and neurodegenerative animal model characterization with extensive prior hands-on expertise in performing survival surgeries including stereotaxic or direct intraparenchymal injection, pharmacological administration, rodent (mouse and rat) behavioral testing, brain and tissue collection, and downstream analysis (RT-qPCR, western blot, ELISA, siRNA quantification and IHC).
The candidate will be responsible for leading, designing, and executing hands-on in-house rodent studies and assay development and execution of experiments to determine the biodistribution, pharmacodynamic properties and efficacy of oligonucleotides in research and preclinical studies supporting multiple drug discovery programs and platform discovery research.
- Design, lead and execute animal studies to assess the pharmacological activity, biodistribution and efficacy of oligos in research and preclinical studies to support development of oligonucleotide therapies for neurodegenerative diseases.
- Perform test article dosing via various administration routes (e.g. brain stereotactic injection, intrathecal injection), Behavioral testing for cognitive, memory and motor function assessments; CNS tissue collection, and downstream tissue analysis
- Perform various molecular and biochemical assays on tissue samples from preclinical studies for a variety of CNS drug development programs, including quantitative and qualitative analysis of target mRNAs and proteins, quantitative characterization of siRNA from CNS and other tissue matrices, in situ hybridization to characterize mRNA distribution, and transcriptome analysis using RNAseq.
- Manage tissue analysis and oversee the transfer and storage of samples from rodent and large animal studies performed at Atalanta or at external CRO facilities.
- Independent analysis and interpretation of data, careful documentation of experiments and presentation of results within the company
- Evaluate study conduct and research data for scientific integrity and communicate study progress and data through presentations and reports
- PhD in Neuroscience/Neurobiology, Physiology, Pharmacology or other Life Sciences with a minimum of three years of postdoctoral experience or experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in neurodegenerative and neurological disease research
- A strong background in in vivo pharmacology and neurodegenerative animal model characterization
- In-depth experience with in vivo pharmacology and efficacy studies including dosing routes of administration, survival surgery (stereotaxic surgery, intrathecal catherization), behavioral measurement, animal monitoring, and CNS tissue collection
- Hands-on experience in molecular, biochemical and cell biological assays including tissue and cellular DNA/RNA isolation, qRT-PCR, ELISA, in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, and cell/tissue imaging by microscopy
- Experience in establishing analytical methods for HPLC and Mass Spectrometry would be desirable but not required
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, excellent organization skills with strong attention to details
- Ability to adapt and exercise flexibility for changing platform needs, workflows and projects
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.Back to Jobs