Scientist I/II, In Vivo Pharmacology
Building on our founders’ Nobel-prize winning discoveries in RNA interference, Atalanta Therapeutics is developing novel branched siRNA therapeutics to treat severe neurological diseases at the root cause. With two active partnerships with large biopharmaceutical companies plus a robust internal pipeline, Atalanta is poised to make a difference in patients’ lives. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district near South Station.
Atalanta is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Scientist I or Scientist II with a strong background in the fields of neuroscience and therapeutic oligonucleotides, who thrives in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and cross-disciplinary start-up biotech environment. This individual should have extensive experience in pharmacology study design and neurodegenerative animal model characterization. Prior hands-on expertise in performing survival surgeries including stereotaxic or direct intraparenchymal injection, pharmacological administration, rodent (mouse and rat) behavioral testing, brain and tissue collection, molecular analysis, and downstream analysis (RT-qPCR, western blot, ELISA, siRNA quantification and IHC). Considerable experience in developing and establishing molecular assays is required for this position.
The candidate will be responsible for leading, designing, and executing hands-on in-house rodent studies and assay development and execution of experiments to determine the biodistribution, pharmacodynamic properties and efficacy of oligonucleotides in research and preclinical studies supporting multiple drug discovery programs and platform discovery research.
- Design, lead and execute animal studies to assess the pharmacological activity, biodistribution and efficacy of oligos in research and preclinical studies to support development of oligonucleotide therapies for neurodegenerative diseases
- Perform test article dosing via various administration routes (e.g. brain stereotactic injection, intrathecal injection), behavioral testing for cognitive, memory and motor function assessments; CNS tissue collection, and downstream tissue analysis
- Perform various molecular and biochemical assays on tissue samples from preclinical studies for a variety of CNS drug development programs, including quantitative and qualitative analysis of target mRNAs and proteins, quantitative characterization of siRNA from CNS and other tissue matrices, in situ hybridization to characterize siRNA and mRNA distribution
- Develop and establish molecular assays to support in -house pre-clinical PK/PD assessments
- Manage tissue analysis and oversee the transfer and storage of samples from rodent and/or large animal studies performed at Atalanta or at external CRO facilities
- Independent analysis and interpretation of data, careful documentation of experiments and presentation of results within the company
- Evaluate study conduct and research data for scientific integrity and communicate study progress and data through presentations and reports
- A PhD with 0-5 plus years of experience OR a Master’s degree with a minimum of 5-8 plus years of professional work experience, preferably within the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- A strong background in in vivo pharmacology within the CNS and/or experience with neurodegenerative animal models
- In-depth experience with in vivo pharmacology and efficacy studies including dosing routes of administration, survival surgery (stereotaxic surgery, intrathecal catheterization), behavioral measurement, animal monitoring, and CNS tissue collection
- Demonstrated experience in molecular, biochemical and cell biological assays and analysis, including tissue and cellular DNA/RNA isolation, qRT-PCR, gel electrophoresis, ELISA, Western blot, in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry, and cell/tissue imaging by microscopy
- Familiarity with MesoScale Discovery systems, experience with immuno-precipitation assays, Stem-loop PCR and with FACS/Flow cytometry are highly desirable
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and excellent organization skills with strong attention to detail is required
- Ability to adapt and exercise flexibility for changing platform needs, workflows and projects is required
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) is required
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position in the subject line
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.Back to Jobs