Senior Associate Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology (Behavioral Neuroscience)
Building on our founders’ Nobel-prize winning discoveries in RNA interference, Atalanta Therapeutics is developing novel branched siRNA therapeutics to treat severe neurological diseases at the root cause. With two active partnerships with large biopharmaceutical companies plus a robust and growing internal pipeline, Atalanta is poised to make a difference in patients’ lives. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district near South Station.
Atalanta is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior Associate Scientist to join the in vivo pharmacology group to support Atalanta’s drug discovery programs. The ideal candidate will have hands- on experience in conducting rodent behavioral experiments, processing CNS tissue, and performing molecular analysis to assess target gene and protein expression. We are seeking candidates who thrive in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and cross-disciplinary small biotech environment.
The Senior Associate Scientist will be responsible for assay development and execution of experiments to determine the biodistribution, pharmacodynamic properties, and efficacy of oligonucleotides in research and preclinical studies supporting multiple drug discovery programs and platform discovery research.
- Perform behavioral testing in rodents to assess motor and sensory functions (e.g., motor function and coordination, responses to touch and heat stimuli, learning and memory, odor processing).
- Perform animal perfusion and tissue harvesting.
- Perform various molecular and biochemical assays on tissue samples from preclinical studies for a variety of CNS drug development programs, including quantitative and qualitative analysis of target mRNAs and proteins (e.g., RT-qPCR, Western Blot, ELISA).
- Work closely with pharmacology team members to design and execute assays to assess the pharmacological activity, biodistribution, and efficacy of oligos in research and preclinical studies to support development of oligonucleotide therapies for neurodegenerative and neurological disorders.
- Manage tissue analysis and oversee the transfer and storage of samples from rodent and large animal studies performed at Atalanta or at external CRO facilities.
- Independent analysis and interpretation of data, documentation of experiments, and presentation of results within the company.
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of industry and/or academic experience OR a Master’s degree with a minimum of 2 years of industry and/or academic experience; position level commensurate with experience.
- Demonstrated experience with a battery of behavioral tests in rodents to assess sensory processing, motor function, and cognition.
- Hands-on experience conducting in vivo studies and rodent necropsy and harvesting of CNS tissues.
- Hands-on experience in molecular and biochemical assays including tissue DNA/RNA isolation, qRT- PCR, ELISA, immunohistochemistry, and tissue imaging by microscopy.
- Experience in sample collection from large animal brain and spinal cord and tissue homogenization would be a plus.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, excellent organization skills with strong attention to details.
- Ability to adapt and exercise flexibility for changing platform needs, workflows, and projects.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position in the subject line
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.Back to Jobs