Senior Associate Scientist, In Vivo Pharmacology
Building on our founders’ Nobel-prize winning discoveries in RNA interference, Atalanta Therapeutics is developing novel branched siRNA therapeutics to treat severe neurological diseases at the root cause. With two active partnerships with large biopharmaceutical companies plus a robust and growing internal pipeline, Atalanta is poised to make a difference in patients’ lives. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s vibrant Seaport district near South Station.
Atalanta is seeking a highly skilled and motivated in vivo-oriented Senior Associate Scientist to join the in vivo pharmacology team to support Atalanta’s drug discovery programs. This individual will have extensive prior experience in drug discovery in neurodegenerative diseases and with extensive prior hands-on expertise in performing survival surgeries including stereotaxic or direct intraparenchymal injection, pharmacological administration, rodent (mouse and rat) behavioral testing, brain and tissue collection, and downstream analysis. Experience with biochemical tissue analysis and routine histology, special stains, immunohistochemistry and RNAscope methods, would be desirable. The successful candidate will collaborate extensively with other Associate Scientists and Scientists, while taking personal responsibility for success of assigned tasks and projects.
The candidate will be responsible for contributing to the design and execution of in vivo experiments to determine the biodistribution, pharmacodynamic properties and efficacy of oligonucleotides in preclinical studies supporting multiple drug development programs and platform discovery research.
- Work closely with pharmacology team members to design and execute in vivo experiments to support research and development of oligonucleotide therapy for neurogenerative diseases
- Perform stereotaxic and other surgical procedures and other routes of administration including I.V. I.P and I.M., Behavioral testing for cognitive, memory and motor function assessment; animal perfusion and tissue harvesting
- Perform test article dosing via various administration routes (e.g. brain stereotactic injection, intrathecal injection, and systemic administration including I.V. I.P and I.M), animal perfusion and tissue harvesting
- Establish and perform behavioral testing for cognitive, memory, motor, and sensory function assessments
- Manage and maintain the breeding colonies and characterize animal models for research projects
- Organize and assist with all activities related to animal necropsy and tissue collection
- Participate in tissue processing for molecular, biochemical and histological analysis
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education with a minimum of 5 years of professional work experience, or a Master’s Degree with a minimum of 2 years of professional work experience
- Hands on experience conducting in vivo studies and should be skilled in rodent surgeries (including stereotactic and intrathecal surgeries/injections highly preferable, but not required), dosing (e.g. -IV, IP, SC, IM), behavioral assays, and rodent necropsy techniques
- At least 2-5 years of hands-on experience with performing survival surgeries including stereotaxic or direct intraparenchymal injection, rodent (mouse and rat) behavioral testing to assess motor dysfunction
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and ability to multi-task and handle multiple/changing priorities along with fluctuations in the workload
- Experience working with transgenic models of neurological disease is desirable but not required
- Experience with colony management systems would be preferred
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, excellent organization skills that enable multitasking and working within timelines required
- Ability to adapt and exercise flexibility for changing platform needs, workflows and projects
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
Please submit your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject line
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.Back to Jobs