VP, Assay Development and Lead Discovery
Atalanta Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing novel oligonucleotide therapeutics for the treatment of genetically defined neurodegenerative diseases. Our founders’ groundbreaking discoveries in RNA interference offer a powerful therapeutic approach to halt diseases at their source. Atalanta fosters a culture of integrity, respect, collaboration, opportunity, learning, and fun. We are located in Boston’s up-and-coming Seaport district.
Atalanta seeks an experienced senior biologist/biochemist to lead its in vitro Assay Development and Lead Discovery group.
Reporting to the CSO, in this newly created postion, this individual will have significant organizational leadership responsibility, including primary responsibility for building, setting vision and strategy, and leading a team focused on developing novel siRNA therapeutics.
The applicant will have extensive experience in identifying drug candidates and advancing them into safety studies and clinical studies. In particular, the applicant will have significant success contributing to regulatory filings including IND and CTA submissions and demonstrated understanding of preclinical data packages to support these regulatory filings. Experience with development of oligonucleotide therapeutics is highly desired.
Demonstrated experience building and maintaining high-functioning teams is essential. The candidate will have demonstrated the ability and desire to work collaboratively on inter-disciplinary projects that span the chemical, analytical, and biological sciences. The candidate will work closely with colleagues in Chemistry, in vivo Pharmacology, Biological Sciences, Neuroscience, and Early Development.
The candidate will have a strong background in multiple aspects of in vitro Biology and Biochemistry relevant to drug discovery and development, including but not limited to mid-to-high-throughput compound screening including rigorous metrics of assay performance, in vitro support for chemical platform development, generation of in vitro platform tools to support project-specific research teams including cell line editing/engineering, generation and use of primary cells/iPS cells, and biochemical/molecular elucidation of mechanisms impacting drug potency and distribution.
The candidate will have demonstrated active engagement in research as through publications, public presentations, patents and a proven track record of innovative biochemical and cellular assays in the context of a drug discovery environment.
This position represents a unique opportunity for a talented Biologist/Biochemist to join a dynamic management team and have a significant impact on advancing our science and the success of the company.
- Lead Atalanta in vitro Assay Development and Lead Discovery functions within the company and represent the company to external partners and collaborators
- Lead efforts to identify emerging trends in assay performance, platform tools, and screening methods and maintain awareness of competitive landscape
- Supervise in vitro screening group responsible for identification of siRNA hits for multiple neurological targets. Ensure appropriate assay metrics and process efficiencies to enable execution on multiple targets in parallel
- Supervise molecular biology group in all aspects of assay development to support lead candidate discovery. Important components of lead discovery will include RNAseq analysis in relevant human iPS cells (e.g., neurons, microglia) for specificity, and impact of lead candidates on markers of toxicity such as inflammatory proteins.
- Supervise biochemistry group to support characterization of activity, potency, distribution, and function of novel oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Supervise cell and molecular biology group responsible for generation of expression constructs and establishment of primary cell and iPS cell models to support project biology. Experience with culture and use of iPS cells is desired.
- Participate in and contribute to cross disciplinary team function for the execution of drug discovery and drug development programs
- An understanding of the basic pharmacology principles of nucleic acid therapies as they relate to efficacy, pharmacokinetics, and toxicity is highly desired.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills including engagement with the oligonucleotide research community
- Create intellectual property and contribute to oligonucleotide patent applications and regulatory filings
- Provide mentorship to staff including the development of managerial and leadership skills.
- PhD in Biology, Biochemistry, or related field is required; A minimum of 15 years of post-doctoral, academic and/or industrial working experience. Experience in the field of oligonucleotide technologies is highly desired.
- Extensive experience with assay development validation, including performance metrics, biochemical assessment of mechanism of action, and generation of cell-based models, including primary and iPSC models
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of an integrated team on multiple parallel projects with an innate sense of urgency and appreciation for priorities and critical factors
- Demonstrated experience in identifying drug candidates and advancing them into safety studies, drug manufacture, and clinical studies.
- Excellent organizational, communication and leadership skills are essential
- Experience building and leading high-functioning teams in a cross-disciplinary environment
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Atalanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.Back to Jobs